BitBox Cold Wallet
Purchase BitBox Cold Wallet

Houthi Video Shows Wreckage They Say Is Downed U.S. Drone

By Amira El-Fekki is a Newsweek reporter based in Dubai. Her focus is reporting on politics and society in the Middle East. She has in depth knowledge of Arab communities and has covered human rights issues extensively. Amira joined Newsweek in 2025 from The Wall Street Journal and had previously worked at the Daily News Egypt. She studied journalism at the Modern Sciences and Arts University in Cairo. You can get in touch with Amira El-Fekki by emailing [email protected]. You can find her on X @afekki Languages: English. Arabic. French. Amira El-Fekki‎ Middle East Reporter The Iranian-backed Yemeni Houthis have released video footage showing what they say is the wreckage of an American MQ-9 Reaper drone they claim to have shot down.Newsweek has reached out to U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) and Houthi officials for comment.Why it MattersThe Houthis report ongoing attacks despite heavy U.S. strikes on Sana'a, a key stronghold. Any continued Houthi success indicates that U.S. efforts have yet to fully damage the group's operations sufficiently to prevent its attacks.The group has carried out over 100 attacks on merchant ships in the Red Sea since the war in Gaza errupted in October 2023 after the Hamas attack on Israel. Saying they are fighting in solidarity with the Palestinian group, they have disrupted a vital trade route and challenged U.S. forces.What To KnowA video released by the group showed the shooting down of what Houthis claimed to be an American MQ-9 drone near Yemen's Marib governorate. A person is heard cheering and chanting "Death to America, death to Israel.""Scenes of the wreckage of the American MQ-9 drone, which was shot down by a locally made surface-to-air missile last night while carrying out hostile actions in the skies over Marib governorate.32 million dollars burn and turn to ashes." pic.twitter.com/MVVLVpURpH https://t.co/8OEtcb3o13— Yemen Military 🇾🇪 (@Yemenimilitary) April 1, 2025 The U.S. military told The Associated Press it was aware of the downing of a Reaper after the group reportedly shot down another American MQ-9 Reaper drone on Tuesday.President Donald Trump has vowed to "annihilate" the group, also known as Ansar Allah, which is designated as a terrorist organization by the U.S.The U.S. military launched more attacks on Houthi positions on Tuesday in operations that began on March 15."CENTCOM Forces continue attacks on Houthi Positions," U.S. Central Command posted on X.Houthi military spokesperson Yahya Sarea claimed more attacks on the USS Harry S.Truman aircraft carrier in the Red Sea in the past week but the U.S. has not reported damage. A Yemeni Houthi security soldier guards during a rally by Houthi supporters on International Quds Day on March 28, 2025 in Sana'a, Yemen. Photo by Mohammed Hamoud/Getty Images The U.S. said operations against the group will continue until freedom of navigation is restored after Houthis said they imposed a blockade on Israeli and American ships in retaliation for Israel's strikes in Gaza and ban of humanitarian aid entry.The Houthis, a faction within Iran's broader Axis of Resistance coalition, have also fired missiles and drones against Israel. Trump has warned Iran to stop supporting the group.What People Are SayingChief Pentagon Spokesman Sean Parnell: "In line with the President's direction to achieve peace through strength, the Secretary of Defense directed the Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group to remain in the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) area of responsibility (AOR) in support of regional deterrence and force protection efforts."Houthi spokesperson Yahya Sarea: "Trump proceeded to bomb our people to protect Zionist navigation in the Red Sea, yet he failed to pass a single ship through the Red Sea. Then, the Yemeni army imposed a blockade on American navigation, resulting in 70% of shipping being prevented from entering the Red Sea."What Happens NextU.S. attacks on the Houthis are expected to continue while the potetial remains for a bigger escalation of the conflicts in the Middle East given the fighting between Israel and Hamas and the growing U.S.-Iran tensions. Newsweek is committed to challenging conventional wisdom and finding connections in the search for common ground.\



Never forget.

Work → Buy Bitcoin → Sleep → Try Again = RICH GUY

Work → Spend → Sleep → Try Again = POOR GUY